Every organisation is different. Every organisation is unique. Our turnkey approach to organisational and individual development, built on our solid foundations of research and specialist expertise, provides a tailored approach that will support your own individual route map to organisational transformation.
Organisations transform through the capabilities of their people. The Oakland Institute prides itself on being at the frontiers of knowledge and leading edge thinking, and we are actively involved with a number of leading business schools in Europe, the USA and the Far East. we enable organisational transformation by building this capability through a unique blend of:
- Research - conducting pragmatic, real world research dedicated to the development of management thinking and organisational learning, and publishes the findings worldwide;
- Organisational and Individual Development - designing, developing and delivering a broad range leadership, management and personal development programmes, in both the public and private sectors, that develop the capability that enables organisational transformation. For more information click here.
The Oakland Institute, developed from the European Centre for Business Excellence, has conducted high impact but pragamatic research in a range of subjects over the last 30 years that have been of importance to the quality profession and many industry sectors; research projects have included:
- X Factor - the relationship between business excellence and performance - for the BQF;
- Design and Business Excellence - for the BQF and Design Council;
- Model in Practice - case studies around the Excellence Model, for the BQF;
- Lean Six Sigma – making it ‘business as usual’
- Written by Professor John Oakland and Graham Cartwright this paper discusses a new approach to implementing Lean Six Sigma that is sustainable. All too often we hear of horror stories of failure that could be easily avoided. The basis of this approach is neither rocket science nor brand new thinking; indeed the individual elements have been around a long time; DMAIC, structured problem-solving, governance, coaching, dashboards etc.
What is unique and very relevant in today’s fast moving e-business global market is the creation of a simple and effective process that brings all these elements together and then embeds them within the organisation as ‘business as usual’. This process makes it easy to do the right things and difficult to fall back into old behaviours, and this is the difference that makes the difference.
- Change management - a new Figure of 8 model
- Quality in 21st Century- accelerating change, reducing costs and protecting reputation
- Quality and Service Awards in the UK- for The SAGE Encyclopedia of Quality and the Service Economy
- Costs of Quality
- Innovation and risk management - for UK Cabinet Office
- Beyond Registration (ISO 9000) - for BSI
- Unlocking the Potential of Public Relations – Developing Good Practice
- The New Quality Professional
- Leading Quality in the 21st Century
- Meeting the Challenge: The Future of the Quality Professional – a series of 6 articles in Quality World
- There are also a number of others - see our publications page here.
Organisational and Individual development
Over the last 20 years we have developed and continue to have strong relationships with Leeds University Business School. We have been involved in delivering a range of undergraduate and post graduate learning including:
- The Master of Arts in Business Excellence (10 modules)
- The Business Excellence option on the full time and executive MBAs
- Business Excellence and Total Quality Management modules in the MSc in Management
- Undergraduate and Masters lectures in Business Excellence
- The Leaders in Residence programme
Corporate Senior Management Development Programmes:
We recognise that often a tailored programme for a team of leaders within your organisation will develop knowledge, skills and motivation to improve specifically quality and performance. We have provided adaptable programmes to meet the needs of organisations including:
- First Direct
- Essex Police
- Yorkshire Water / Kelda
The length and format of these vary to suit each organisation’s operating model and pressures.
We have delivered a series of Leadership Masterclasses for the Chartered Quality Institute covering the following topics:
- Setting direction - developing quality strategy;
- Fact-based thinking - effective performance management;
- Understanding business environment - managing risk & opportunity;
- Systems thinking - excellence across the business;
- Transforming culture - putting the customer first.
Alternatively, if you feel you could benefit from an in-house programme contact us.